Monday, September 1, 2008

Prayers from around the world

I just checked my email and found a message from someone I met when I traveled to Belfast last Spring. I traveled with family and friends from Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church in Atlanta, Georgia to learn about the ministry taking place at the East Belfast Mission. While there I learned about one of the most amazing projects for community renewal I have ever encountered. The mission is located in a community plagued with deep poverty and the challenges associated with inadequate education, deep ideological and cultural divisions and a failed economy tied to the ship building industry that collapsed from tens of thousands of jobs to four hundred. In the middle of this difficult situation emerged the Skainos Project (www.skainos.org). One of the leaders of this mission sent the email lifting our situation in prayer. It is so good to know that we are part of a global community and that we are connected not only by prayer, but also by a calling to and a vision for reconciliation.  

No comments: